WATCH OUT FOR POISON PLANTS THIS SUMMER!
Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison Sumac all contain the same rash causing substance called urushiol (yoo-roo-sheeol). It is an odorless, colorless oil. The leaves of these plants release urushiol when they are bumped, torn or brushed up against. Once released, it can easily get on a person’s skin where it can cause big trouble.
You can also get it by not touching a plant at all! Urushiol can be transferred from one person to another by touching or you an get it by petting a dog that’s been roaming in the woods and has come in contact with a poison plant. Urushiol can also travel airborne if someone burns the plants to clear the brush.
In today's Spotlight On Health, read more about Urushiol and how to treat it if you encounter any poisonous plants this summer!
Click HERE to download this activity as a printable PDF.