• Kids World News

Science Fun!


How vertebrates are grouped


Animals are grouped by common characteristics. Animals that have a backbone are called vertebrates. Humans have a back-bone so we are a vertebrate also! There are five main animal groups in the vertebrate grouping. Mammals are animals that give birth to live babies, have hair on their bodies, are warm blooded, breathe air with lungs and nurse their babies with milk from their mother’s body. Humans are mammals. So are cows, dogs, cats and whales!


Vertebrates only make up about 2% of all the animals in the world. The other 98% are invertebrates. These are animals with-out a backbone. Worms, insects, clams, octopus, coral, spiders, and jellyfish are all examples of invertebrates.


Read more about how vertebrates are grouped in today’s Science Fun!


Click HERE to download this activity as a printable PDF.


Recent Posts

See All

You Can Help Children Read

Reading is essential to every child’s growth and forges the foundations for lifelong success.  Kids' World News is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to get kids excited about reading and improve childhood literacy.  Your gift will help us provide free reading activities to elementary school students.  All donations are tax deductible under FEIN 38-3076101.

© 2018 Kids World News.  All Rights Reserved.  Contact Us