All About Michigan
Fort Mackinac has had quite a history! Before 1763, the French had controlled the Straits of Mackinac by having Ford Michilimackinac on the northern point of Lower Michigan. But, after the Treaty of Paris in 1763, the British took occupation of the fort and then decided that the wooden structure was too difficult to defend.
In 1780-1781, Patrick Sinclair, the Lieutenant Governor of Michilimackinac built a new limestone fort located on the bluff at Mackinac Island. It was used to control the extremely important Straits of Mackinac between Lake Michigan and Lake Huron, plus the fur trade between the British and the tribes in the region. The fort was not given to the Americans until 15 years after American independence in 1796.
Read more about Fort Mackinac in today’s All About Michigan!
Click HERE to download this activity as a printable PDF.